Monday, January 28, 2013

Music Monday

Today I'm talking tunes. And if you haven't heard . . .

All The Write Notes is live! *cheers*

ATWN is a  blog for people who love tunes. Started by writers who love and live music, it's going to be heaps of fun. And I'm honored to be a part of it! Today is the first post. The cool Jay C. Spencer is talking about the band The Rural Alberta Advantage, a band that inspired his current WIP, and there's a giveaway!

So go check it out! You might win--or just find some cool tunes.:)

Since ATWN today is talking about bands that have influenced us--and our writing--I'll share some of my faves. It's really hard to pick just one, but Snow Patrol tops my list. The lyrics, the melodies--I love it all. And having seen them in concert (twice), they're even more amazing live.

Other huge artists for me? It tends to change, but rounding out my top 5 of bands/artists I never tire of are: Jack Johnson, Silversun Pick-ups, 30 Seconds to Mars, and The XX.

The next timeless five? David Gray, Jack's Mannequin, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode. (I know, Depeche Mode screams ancient, but I still love them. Good times.:D)

Other artists I'm loving right now? Kasabian, Natalie Walker, Sia, Lana Del Ray, The Joy Formidable, and My Chemical Romance.

And the track playing on my iPod right now: Mirrorball by Elbow. Another great tune.

What have you been listening to lately?

And curious . . . *cue informal blog poll*  . . . I can't write without music. Seriously. It's like all that silence weirds me out and stops my mind from going to that creative place. What about you? If you're a writer, do you like music, or do you need silence?

**Okay, since posting, I realized my "next top five of timeless songs" only contained four...*doh* Nice. Math was never my strong point...LOL.:) So here's a 5th: Florence +The Machine. Happy Monday & thanks for stopping by!:)

2 comments:

  1. Writing with music is a newish thing for me because I talk to myself SOOOO much when I'm writing. Then my husband's video game got some weird sound glitch and I put in the ear buds to block out his noise. Suddenly it was like a new world opened to me! Now I love to listen to Christina Perry, Adele, and a ton of 80s music (and Glee remakes) when I write. It also seems to push the tired bug away, so even on nights when I'm so beat I put on something peppy (Say...PitBull or Shakira) to get going and it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Adele too ! She's super talented. I'm an 80's fangirl myself...which you can probably tell from my love of the Smiths and Depeche mode. :) (For some reason I can remember all the words to People Are People and yet I can't remember what I did yesterday.LOL)

    And I love your story on how you ended up writing with music. So cool. Thanks for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete